Monday, January 3, 2011

Sloppy Joe Sauce

  This is my version of sloppy joes. Ive gotten several good reviews on RecipeZaar (now food.com) for it. I took two on the site and sorta mashed them together and tweaked them. The best part was that my husband actually liked it! A couple of reviewers mentioned that they thought it was a bit soupy. So for here I say 1/4- 1/2 cup water. I don't think they probably simmered it as long (the directions do say 10-15 min) as they should have. So start with the 1/4c. and if you need more add it as you go. I find simmering for the full time penetrates the meat with the taste rather than just coating it. If you want to thicken it faster add a Tablespoon of whole brown (or golden if thats what you have) flax seed in it while its simmering. This gives a good fiber kick and doesn't change the taste a bit.

1 c. Ketchup
1 T. prepared mustard
1 T. sugar
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. salt
1/4-1/2 c. water
pinch garlic
pinch of pepper
scant 1/4 t. chili powder
chopped onions and green peppers to taste

  1 pound hamburger browned and drained. Simmer on low 10-15 minutes, or till desired consistency.

Why so many recipes? See the post about the NEW YEAR RECIPE BLITZ!

1 comment:

  1. Got another good comment on this recipe from my BIL yesterday. He said it sure beats out the stuff from the store- YAY! Another satisfied customer!

    ReplyDelete